In my yearly survey, Wild Spirits regularly tell me that money is their biggest obstacle to success. Yet my money-related features are always the least viewed of all. One member of the Wild Spirits community told me: “You’re all about joy and passion, Sibylle, and to me, finances are the opposite of these things.”
I relate. In fact, I used to think the exact same thing, before I found a better way. Your mission today is to make finances a passion, or at least, to bring joy to your money management.
Sign up for Wild Spirits News for free weekly Coaching magic, resources and exclusive offers! Simply fill in the form:
Task 1: How does money kill your joy?
No, I won’t let you get away with “money just sucks”. Money buys life-saving medical equipment, trips to exciting new places, and tickets to your favourite musician’s concert.
Money is brilliant.
D’you know when money sucks? When there isn’t enough of it. It’s time you get to the reason for it – not your low-paying job or the cost of childcare, the real reason.
- How was money talked about when you were a child?
- What do you think about rich people?
- What difference would an extra 100,000 make to the passion(s) in your life?
Task 2: Rewrite and reframe
It’s time to rewrite your money story. Look at your beliefs and start poking holes into them.
Then, it’s time to associate finances with joy. There are many ways of doing this; here are a few suggestions:
- Get online banking and check your savings regularly, watching them grow with the interest.
- Make a celebration of your monthly budgeting session with tea, candles, a treat, some quality time with your partner, dreams of the future etc.
- Get a beautiful new wallet in gorgeous colours to give your cash a pretty home.
- Try the envelope system of budgeting (google it) and get pretty colourful envelopes for it.
- Have a monthly “Play” budget to blow on something fun.